We will be running a series on web design for mobile devices. Today we will introduce the series and take a moment to look at some initial data and examine why it is important to have a webpage that is mobile-friendly or “responsive.”

Internet Traffic by Device

Web traffic is getting “Smart.” Is your website?

Smartphones have taken the world by storm and continue to grow in popularity. The amount of web traffic in the U.S. coming from mobile devices has increased by 19% in just the last year and now accounts for 75% of all internet traffic. Not only are consumers using their phones more, but many people also use smartphones and tablets as their only means of web browsing. This makes it more important than ever to ensure your website looks great, and more importantly, is easy to view and navigate on mobile devices.

Internet Traffic by Device

Is your site more difficult to use on mobile devices?

It is harder to engage mobile users and keep them on your site. We can see this by looking at the bounce rate, or the percentage of people that leave your site after viewing just one page. For mobile users the bounce rate is about 10% higher than those using a desktop or laptop. Also, people make the decision fairly quickly on whether to continue viewing or leave a website (most estimates ranging from 3 to 15 seconds). On a website that is not responsive, users could easily spend that much time or more just trying to view your content or figuring out how to navigate your site.

Internet Traffic by Device

What do your users do if your site isn’t responsive?

If your site is not formatted for mobile devices or is difficult to navigate, it can have a serious impact on your business. Websites that do not scale correctly to a smartphone’s screen, or pages that don’t offer a touch-friendly interface can cause frustration and make customers feel like they are not important. When users go to a site that is not responsive, 60% will leave and not return, while the other 40% will leave and immediately go to a competitor’s site.

A site that is not mobile-friendly will negatively affect your SEO.

In April of 2015, Google adjusted its ranking algorithms to account for responsive web design. That means any site which is not mobile-friendly, has tiny font, horizontal scrolling, or content that is unplayable on mobile, will be penalized in Google’s search rankings. And in May of last year, Google redoubled their efforts and levied an even heavier penalty on sites that are not optimized for mobile devices. So, if your website is not responsive, it is very unlikely that your page will show up on any searches performed from a mobile device.

Internet Traffic by Device

How can I tell if my site is mobile-friendly?

The easiest way to tell if your site is responsive is to browse to it on a mobile device. If you have to zoom to see the content, or if the text is too small to read, then your site is not formatted for mobile use. Also, if your site is hard to navigate on a phone or if the buttons are difficult to tap, it may not be considered mobile-friendly. If you don’t have a smartphone or if you are not sure about your site, you can use Google’s “Mobile-Friendly Test.” Enter your URL, and it will tell you if your site is mobile-friendly. If your page does not pass the test, it will also tell you what should be fixed to make the site responsive.

My site is not responsive. What should I do to fix it?

Don’t Panic. Stay tuned to this blog over the next few weeks. We will be going through some strategies to make sure your website is mobile-friendly, easy to navigate, and ranked highly in Google searches. We will be covering responsive design, menu layout, Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP), appropriate content types, SEO, and more.

Or, you could leave all of the hard work to us. We specialize in responsive design that looks great on any device. All pages by Bham Web Design are optimized for mobile and use AMP to make sure content pages load lightning fast. Click the button below to get a free online quote.

Sources:
https://developers.google.com/webmasters/mobile-sites/
https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2016/03/continuing-to-make-web-more-mobile.html?m=1
https://hostingfacts.com/internet-facts-stats-2016/
http://marketingland.com/mobile-top-sites-165725
https://www.impactbnd.com/blog/mobile-marketing-statistics-for-2016

Share This